Saturday, November 28, 2009

70

So, Thanksgiving is over. I have decided that holidays away from family stink. Thankfully no one's holiday was normal this year, so it didn't make me feel like I was missing too much. On Thursday, we had a Korean family over to our home for their first American Thanksgiving. It was interesting. The couple has two girls that are 14 and 6. They didn't say a word. The food wasn't explained to them. They looked terrified. The little girl didn't even pick up her fork. The husband and wife ate. The husband ate all of his food, the wife ate enough to be polite. It was awkward and I was glad when the evening was over. I had to work on Friday, so we didn't have a late evening. Friday night, our roommate's brother and his partner came for dinner. That was a little more normal, but still awkward. I kept thinking to myself, "We're not in Texas anymore." What happened to green bean casserole? Saying the blessing before dinner? Ham? None of that was present. Jared and I gave our thanks privately, but it makes me sad to realize that these people that we spend every day with have no understanding of Christ. I hope that during the Christmas season we are an example to them and they are able to see what the real reason is for the season. Same with work. Poor people. Have they stopped to think what it's all about? There is no reason to go to Africa or South America to witness. It can be done right here in the USA.

1 comment:

  1. ditto our thanklessgiving dinner. no thanks. not even a thankful attitude. so sad. i miss my family & the traditions we should be building. this year was NOT one to remember. i love you.

    ReplyDelete