Sunday, August 26, 2012

150

This week, I made the decision to take a FaceBook hiatus.  When I went for a visit to Texas, I was amazed by how much time we spent on our phones, reading other people's status updates, looking at other people's photos, and overall just wasting time.  It made me start thinking...maybe it's taking over the world.  I don't really think it's THAT extreme, but I do think that we put way too much time into it. So, I decided to take a break.  Then, this week I attended training at work.  It was on the "7 Habits of Highly Effective People."  One of the main things that was talked about is how you spend your time.  They use the model shown below to track how you spend your time every day.  The "ideal" would be to spend as much time as possible in quadrant 2 and very little if not any time in quadrant 4.
Now, I don't necessarily agree with everything that was taught in this class, but most of it was valid.  And FaceBook is definitely part of quadrant four.  All of this to say, I deactivated my account.  I'm not promising that i will never go back and activate my account, but for the time being, no FaceBook.  I don't know how many times I have picked up my phone this weekend and then thought, "Oh yeah, nothing to check in on."  So, with that being said, I hope I am still able to keep up with my family and the hand full of friends that I will talk to without having an account.  I know that blogging is similar to FaceBook, but what I find myself doing on FaceBook is being nosey, looking at people's pages who I would never in a million years say hello to if I ran into them in the grocery store.  Blogging is different.  It's me writing for myself, not so others know what I am up to or better yet, so I can see what others are doing.  So, we will see how it goes.  No FaceBook.  I'm looking forward to seeing what I do with the extra time!

1 comment: