Monday, August 16, 2010

107

If I ever have children, I hope I never say the words I just heard my roommates say regarding school. "It's not about having fun, it's about learning." Their 13 year old daughter, who they seem to view as a screwed up child, is signing up for classes. She is a normal 13 year old. Rolls her eyes, wants to wear too much makeup, continuously on her cell phone or has her ipod going, but she is by no means a screw up. At least from what I can tell. She is choosing her electives. From what I can see, S is a smart girl, but not super smart. An A B student who really doesn't care about school, but still does her work. Electives are suppose to be for fun. She wants to take chorus. She took chorus last year. For her second elective, she wants to be teacher's aide. The parents said no to both. Why take chorus when you had it last year? Why take teacher's aide, it's for slackers? I don't want to voice my opinion if not asked, but neither would hurt anything. Chorus is one of those classes that some kids take every year from 7-12. Like athletics, or band, or drama. That's kinda the point. You get involved with it, grow with the same kids, and have a good time. They don't see the point in taking the same class for 2 years in a row. As far as teacher's aide goes, I was an office aide in 8th and my Sr year I was both a library aide and a counselor's aide. Some screw up I was, huh? I did it because it helped my GPA. No, you don't learn a thing, but you also don't get credit for it, so it helps raise your GPA since other elective classes are weighted. I think they need to step back and remember what it's like to be an 8th grader. If she has not desire to be in leadership, whatever the heck that is, she shouldn't have to take it. She definitely shouldn't take wood shop, like her dad is suggesting. That is a slacker class for GUYS, not girls. But, most importantly, don't ever tell your kids school isn't about fun. You can't live your unfulfilled dreams through your children, no matter how hard you try. Let them live their own lives. (Says the 27 year old who doesn't have any children of her own.)

2 comments:

  1. I am incredibly proud of my slacker daughter. I am also proud of the course of study you took in school, the grade point average you maintained and the incredible human specimen you are today. I am proud of the advice you are able to spout to parents of children, even though you have none, I see it as very accurate and level headed advice. I am proud you have maintained the ideals your parents taught you that school is about more than learning, it is also a great place to have a great time and to learn about life and social skills. Most of all I am proud that you are a very well rounded person who understands that we are not square pegs that must fit into square holes in order to be happy. God made us all as individuals with a host of talents, gifts and abilities. Thankfully life can be a beautiful ride. If you ever have the wonderful gift of children you will be a very savy & cool moma! I love you. You are a great person Bean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww...you're gonna be a great mommy someday!! Don't worry, you'll get plenty of chances to influence "Scout"'s life, he'll be a very lucky little boy to have you for his aunt :)

    ReplyDelete