Saturday, April 13, 2013

165

So, three weeks have passed and I am loving my job.  I decided that it would be a good excercise to write down what it is that I am enjoying so far.  That way, down the road when the newness has worn away, I can look back and see what my first impression was.

For starters, I don't have a manager. No, I'm not the boss, but no one from middle management tells me what to do. It's just the owner. What does this mean? That means, there is no bologna. You know exactly what is expected of you from the person that means the most in this particular situation- the man who signs your paycheck.  I like that because I know exactly what is expected and if I don't for some reason, I know who to ask to find out the answer.

Next, I don't deal with the public.  That in itself is a blessing that I really didn't understand.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my customers, or some of them.  Me, though, I can get my work done without having a fake smile plastered across my face.  This means that when I come home, I'm not exhausted. As our roommate said, I haven't used up all of my words on insignificant chit chat.  Very true.  When I get home, I still have a smile on my face and feel like being social.

I get to pay the bills.  I am an English major...or, I guess I WAS an English major. It was hard for me to realize that I enjoy numbers.  I enjoy organization. I enjoy everything being in it's proper place. Ad that's a-ok. That doesn't mean that I am not a creative person.  It just means that I am perfect for being a bookkeeper.  Thank you, Mr. Eaton, for helping me realize that.  My husband knows me well. Like he said, you like everything to be black and white- right or wrong.  How would a bookkeeping not be right for you?

Lastly, another thing that I wasn't sure about, but might be my favorite perk so far.  No high heels allowed. That's right. These little piggies get to rest. No heels, no suits, no panty hose...no problem. I love it.  I can wake up, pull on a cardigan and Toms, and I'm out the door.  Or, if I want to wear a dress, I can.  If I want to wear sweatpants with the word "pink" across my backside and Ugg boots, I can.  Thank goodness I don't own either of those last two things, though. You get the point that I'm trying to make.  As long as it's not provocative, you can wear it.

I know there are many more things, and I might continue this at a later date.  For now, I am going to go enjoy my weekend. Cuz, yep, that's right, I get those off now.

1 comment:

  1. So, how's that marathon before you're 30 coming along? 16 days!

    ReplyDelete